- Reclamation awards $7.5 million for communities to prepare and respond to drought
- Warm, Dry Conditions Lead to Below Average Snowpack
- State Agencies Present Framework for Voluntary Agreements to Improve Habitat and Flow in the Delta
- MWD to Update Plan for Meeting Southern California’s Future Water Needs
- Snowpack Remains Below Average According to DWR Survey
MWD Launches “Wasting Water Is…” Campaign to Encourage Conservation
Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) continues to encourage people to use water efficiently in a series of commercials that spoof horror, tragedy and comedy. The new digital and social media campaign focuses on what happens when three water-wasters get caught in the act and learn how scary, tragic and offensive wasting water really is.
“Our hope is that by injecting a little humor and entertainment into an essential element of our region’s water sustainability, we can continue raising awareness and advancing the region’s water conservation goals,” said Susan Sims, MWD’s manager of external affairs.
MWD staff produced the videos entirely in-house – from storyboard concept to shooting and final editing. The video spoofs are being advertised on YouTube and connected TV devices such as Apple TV, Chromecast and Roku, targeting entertainment, lifestyle and sports shows. The district will also promote the videos with movie posters and animated GIFs on its social media channels and on bewaterwise.com.
“Southern California’s weather is unpredictable, which means we need to use water efficiently regardless of the conditions,” MWD General Manager Jeffrey Kightlinger said.
MWD water supply reliability plan calls for conservation and recycling to account for one-third of its water portfolio by 2040.