The City of San Diego Public Utilities Department is offering rebates for homeowners who install rain barrels to capture rainwater. In order to qualify for the rebate program, residents must:
· Have purchased rain barrel after January 1, 2012.
· Fill out the Rain Barrel Rebate Application.
· Take before and after pictures, showing where the rain barrel will be located and that the rain barrel has been installed.
· Provide a sales receipt showing how much was paid for each rain barrel, when and where it was purchased.
· Submit documentation to the City.
Residents will receive up to $1 for every gallon of rain storage capacity, with a maximum of $400 per property. For example, if you have a 60-gallon rain barrel, you would receive a $60 rebate. Homeowners can install multiple rain barrels and apply for the reimbursement.
The City has put a few stipulations on the rebate program. To qualify for the rebate, a minimum of a 50-gallon barrel has to be used. Only the cost of purchasing the barrel will be reimbursed. Taxes and installation are not considered.