- State Water Project allocations for 2018 inch up to 35 percent for State Water Contractors
- Attorney General Becerra and San Diego Water Board Ready to File Suit over Tijuana River Sewage
- 2017 Water Year Storage and Recovery Results for Seaside Groundwater Basin
- Feds call for drought contingency plans be put into effect
- Central Valley Water Board settles with Seven Hill LLC for lack of Water Quality Permit
West Basin Municipal Water District asks for Community Input on Potential Desalination Facility
Two public meetings for the community are scheduled in the next four weeks, hosted by West Basin Municipal Water District (WBMWD), to learn more about and to comment on a draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) regarding a potential ocean water desalination facility in El Segundo, Calif. The Carson-based WVMWD is hosting the two informational meetings in El Segundo based on the proximity of the proposed facility location.
The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires that a public agency prepare an EIR when an agency is considering a project that may result in significant environmental impacts. As a coastal water supply agency, West Basin is investigating the possibility of implementing an Ocean Water Desalination Project that would provide a local, potable water source to its already diverse water supply portfolio of conservation efforts, desalted groundwater, imported water and recycled water.
A public review and comment period for the draft EIR began on March 27 and will continue through May 25, 2018 at 5 p.m. The draft EIR is currently available online at www.westbasin.org/desal; the general public is encouraged to review the findings and provide feedback. A summary of the potential impacts of the Ocean Water Desalination Project and the review process is included in a “Citizen’s Guide” at: http://www.westbasindesal.org/assets/Documents%20and%20Files/Project%20Materials/Citizens-Guide.pdf.
Comments on the draft EIR may be submitted in one of three ways:
- At one of the community meetings
- Via mail or hand-delivery to the West Basin Municipal Water District office at 17140 S. Avalon Blvd., Carson, CA 90746
- Via e-mail at: email@example.com or via an online comment form at: http://westbasindesal.org/comments.html.
Following the close of the public review and comment period, WBMWD will respond to all comments submitted in regards to the draft EIR. Once responses have been reviewed and compiled, a final EIR will be released. A public hearing will then be scheduled by the West Basin Board of Directors to consider certifying the EIR based upon the final report. However, certification of the final EIR does not support or reject the proposed project; it is confirmation that the EIR has informed the community and the WBMWD Board of Directors of the potential environmental impacts that may be expected and has been prepared in compliance with CEQA.
The two community meetings to present and review the draft EIR will be held on:
- Wednesday, April 25, 2018 from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. AND
- Saturday, May 12, 2018 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Both meetings will be held at the Richmond Street Elementary School Auditorium at 615 Richmond St. in El Segundo. For additional questions or information regarding the draft EIR contact the West Basin at 310-660-6232 or firstname.lastname@example.org.