- Governor Adds Eight More Counties to State of Emergency Declaration Due to Winter Storms
- Abundant Snow Packs Sierra Nevada With 162 Percent of Average Statewide
- Novato Computer Data Recovery Firm Donating Up to $1 Million of Services to Russian River Residents
- Strong Winter Storms Prompt State Water Project Allocations Increase to 70 Percent
- Ongoing Efforts to Improve and Better Understand Lake Tahoe’s Nearshore Accepted by Board
ACWA Awards 2018-2019 Graduate Scholarship to USC Student Carlos Carrillo
The recipient of the 2018-’19 Stephen K. Hall Water Law & Policy scholarship was named earlier this week at the Association of California Water Agencies’ (ACWA) Fall Conference & Exhibition held in San Diego. University of Southern California (USC) graduate student Carlos Carrillo was selected to receive $7,000 to use toward his graduate school tuition costs.
“For more than a decade now, ACWA and its funding partners have invested in exceptional graduate-level students who are well on their way to becoming future leaders in our industry,” said ACWA President Brent Hastey. “We are excited to be able to present this year’s scholarship to a young professional who has demonstrated through his studies and work experience that he is ready to take on the challenges and opportunities that exist in California water.”
Carrillo is pursuing his Master’s degree in Public Administration. Additionally, he works full-time at the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) as an assistant resources specialist. In this position he assists with the development of long-term water supply and demand forecasts for key planning documents such as the Integrated Water Resources Plan.
The Stephen K. Hall Water Law & Policy scholarship is one of four scholarship categories offered by ACWA each year. The Hall scholarship is funded, in part, from the annual Steve Hall Fierce Competitor Golf Tournament, which raised $15,000 in 2018 for the scholarship and the ALS Foundation. The scholarship was established in 2007 in honor of ACWA’s former Executive Director Steve Hall, who passed away in 2010 after a lengthy battle with ALS.
In addition to the Stephen K. Hall scholarship, ACWA offers:
- ACWA Scholarship – ACWA awards two $3,500 scholarships to qualified undergraduate students. The deadline to apply for the ACWA Scholarship 2019-20 scholarship cycle is March 1, 2019.
- Clair A. Hill Scholarship – the Clair A. Hill Agency Award for Excellence awards one $5,000 scholarship to a qualified undergraduate student. The award is sponsored by Jacobs. The deadline to apply for the 2019-20 scholarship cycle is March 1, 2019.
- Ted and Nancy Way Scholarship for the Next Generation of Water Leaders – For the Way Scholarship ACWA awards two $5,000 scholarships to qualified undergraduate students. The deadline to apply for the 2019-20 scholarship cycle is March 1, 2019.
- For the next round for the Stephen K. Hall ACWA Water Law & Policy Scholarship the deadline is March 1, 2019. Starting with the 2019-20 scholarship cycle, this annual graduate student scholarship amount will be increased to $10,000.
For each of the four scholarship categories no late applications will not be accepted. The 2019-20 scholarship application round is expected to open in late December 2018. Applicants must review and meet all scholarship Eligibility and Application Requirements. For more information about ACWA’s scholarships, go to: https://www.acwa.com/about/scholarships/.