- President Trump Approves California Disaster Declaration for 17 Northern California Counties
- Federal Court Dismisses Key Claims in Agua Caliente Tribe’s Water Lawsuit Against Public Agencies
- Year’s Final Manual Snow Survey Finds Snowpack is Cold and Dense with Depth of 47 Inches
- Groundwater Levels in the Coachella Valley Showing Significant Increases in Last Decade
- Legal Water Doesn’t Always Mean Safe Water Study Finds Combined Tap Water Pollutants Hazardous
Ben Horenstein Selected as New General at Manager Marin Municipal Water District
Long-time water professional Ben Horenstein was approved by the new manager by the Marin Municipal Water District (MMWD) Board of Directors at the Tuesday, November 13 board meeting. The board had conducted an extensive nationwide search prior to choosing Horenstein.
“Selecting a general manager is one of the most important decisions we can make as a board,” Board Member Cynthia Koehler noted. “Ensuring we have the right leadership to oversee the management of our complex water system, as well as the Mt. Tamalpais Watershed, was paramount in our decision.”
Horenstein’s resume reflects more than 30 years of water industry experience throughout California. He most recently worked for the city of Santa Rosa as the director of water. Prior to his position in Santa Rosa, Horenstein had served as the director of Waste Water and Recycling Department at East Bay Municipal Utility District and with the city of Los Angeles working for the Bureau of Sanitation.
Horenstein earned a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering from the University of Florida and pursued graduate work in Environmental Studies at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles and at Vermont Law School. He is a registered Professional Engineer in California and is a certified Grade IV Water and Grade V Wastewater Operator.
The Marin Municipal Water District serves 190,300 people in a 147-square-mile area of south and central Marin County. The district’s primary source of its water supply is rainfall captured in seven reservoirs which accounts for 75 percent of the water consumed each year. The remaining 25 percent is imported annually from the Russian River through an agreement with the Sonoma County Water Agency. MMWD also operates its own recycled water system. The district also owns and manages 21,600 acres of watershed land on Mt. Tamalpais and in west Marin.
“We’re excited to welcome Ben to MMWD. His experience and enthusiasm were unmatched amongst the strong group of candidates we interviewed. I am confident he will be an excellent fit for the unique needs of MMWD,” said Board President Armando Quintero.
Horenstein will begin his new position with MMWD on December 3. Horenstein commented on assuming his new position saying, “I am looking forward to joining the team at MMWD and to begin collaborating with the Board, staff and community. MMWD has a rich history as the first municipal water district in California – I hope to build on that legacy and make a positive impact.”