- DWR’s Tree Study Confirms California’s History of moving between Periods of Wet and Dry Conditions
- New Regulations for Augmenting Reservoirs with Treated Recycled Water Adopted by State Board
- State’s Snow Water Equivalent measures 9.4 inches, 39 percent of early March normal
- Report on Fight Against Invasive Mussels released by Department of the Interior
- Santa Barbara County Issues Recommended Evacuation Warning prior to approaching winter storm
West Valley Water District to study second rebate for customers
Rialto-based West Valley Water District’s (WVWD) Board of Directors has directed Interim General Manager Robert Christman to study and prepare an impact report on a proposed rebate for district customers and present the findings at the next Board of Directors’ meeting on Jan. 18. The board is considering a 15 percent rebate for its customers on their 2017 water payments.
If approved, the rebate would be the second for WVWD ratepayers in as many years. In May 2016, the Board refunded a portion of customers’ 2015 water payments and rescinded the 2016 and 2017 rate increases that had been approved in 2012. The rebate could come from $4.5 million in savings generated by refinancing of 2006D-2 bonds in December 2016 for a lower interest rate. Additionally, the Southern California WVWD has saved hundreds of thousands of dollars in the last year by pursuing lower bank fees, refinancing bonds and renegotiating contracts.
Regarding the possible rebate Christman said, “With strong fiscal stewardship, WVWD has not only avoided rate increases, but has been able to take the unusual step of offering rate rebates and rollbacks. Providing customers with another rebate is a high priority of our Board. Our hardworking staff is gathering information on the overall impact of the potential rebate.”
WVWD provides water service to approximately 80,000 people in portions of the communities of Bloomington, Colton, Fontana, Rialto, San Bernardino and the Jurupa Valley. Christman’s impact report will be presented at the Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018 meeting of the Board of Directors at 6 p.m. at the WVWD offices at 855 W Base Line Road, Rialto.